} -->

Sunday 8 May 2016

No Stress NAPLAN Testing

The most important thing during NAPLAN is to to make the students understand that NAPLAN is 4 tests that you do your best in but they are not something to stress over. I explain the format of NAPLAN, that no one is expected to get 100% on it. That it has questions from year levels above theirs. I also tell them that not even I usually get 100% on the test. I tell the students that doing their best will make me proud and that is something they should strive for.

 By carefully preparing my students for NAPLAN I have never had any tears or comments of 'I can't do this'. In a split 2/3 class I even had a year 2 student beg me to let them do the test!


Test Strategies

Introduce strategies to students help students cope with the test. 
For younger students introduce strategies as a memorable character (see below for suggested names).
Dead Fred- Did not die from a test
Whinging Whinnie - negative character- gets upset about tests
Careful Cara - Reads the questions carefully by looking for key words
Naughty Nick -Places a silly (obviously wrong) answer in each question
Sneaky Sarah - Places two similar answers in each question to try and trick you
Guessing George - Makes guesses only when necessary and eliminates first
Recheck Rebecca -Rechecks her answers at the end


Purchase these posters on Design by Teachers.

Good luck to all students and teachers!

No comments:

Post a Comment