} -->

Saturday 10 January 2015

Angles



Today I want to share an idea with you for teaching angles. Towards the end of last year I needed to revise angles with my students. The year 3 outcome is about comparing angles sizes in everyday situations. 
To make it fun and motivating I got the students to make movie clapperboards. I gave them a strip of white paper (made from folding an A4 sheet in half three times). They coloured it in with diagonal black stripes and then punched a hole through the end of it and half of a black piece of card. 

I drew an example up on the board for each of the next steps. 

I got students to divide their sheet in half. On the top section they had to come up with a movie name that had angles in the title. My example was Angry Angles. Then they wrote their (director) name. We used this opportunity to revise the use of capital letters.  

They split the bottom section into three sections. We wrote the headings acute, right and obtuse in each of the boxes revising them as we went along. 
Students then went around measuring angles (using the clapper at the top) in the classroom and writing examples of each in the applicable boxes.
It was a very motivating activity and looked great displayed on the walls.


No comments:

Post a Comment